Moda Bake Shop Here I Come!!

cover photo2

Good Morning Everyone! I am super excited to share with you that I am a featured designer on the Moda Bake Shop blog today!

This is a super fast and easy quilt that I made featuring a ombre junior jelly roll from the Color Theory line by V and Co. The above link will take you right there and you can see the full tutorial and make your own!

Go check it out and let me know what you think! And thanks for all the support and kind words!

Leah

WIP Wednesday

image

another Wednesday has rolled around so I thought I would join the crowed and show you all what I have been up to.  This week I completed the first block  of the superhero quilt that I have been working on for Colt. He gave me his favorite guys that he wanted included in his quilt and I turned them into pixelated drawings that I am constructing blocks out of with two and a half inch strips. He was very excited when I got the first block done so I can’t wait to start on the next one.

image

I also put the finishing touches on my easy strip quilt top that I designed. I’m sure most of you can tell that I love any fabric line that is designed by Vanessa Christensen of V and co.  Sometimes I get in a rut and I feel like I just need to make a quick top so I designed this one just using jelly roll strips and adding in a solid white along with it. I started by sewing four strips together then cut them in squares. There were a ton of possibilities for layout with these blocks. I finally decided on the lay out that I have liked best with this fabric then sewed my squares into rows and in my rows together, the top went together very quickly.

image

I also picked up is fun yardage the new cotton steel line. Not totally sure what I’m going to do with it yet but the colors and design caught my eye and I thought it might make a cute zippered pouch or maybe a bag. I’ll have to think about this one for a while longer.

Have a great Wednesday and stop back again!

Leah

Ironing Board Update

IMG_1359[1]

Since moving into my new sewing room I have been thinking of ways to make it look good. I painted a cabinet and have been collecting new things to hang on the walls.  When I read a blog post from Jo’s Country Junction I knew my next step was new ironing board covers.  She was having a challenge with a cute layer cake as a prize so I headed to my stash to pick out some fabric.  I found my fat quarter bundle of V & Co. Simply Style and picked out a few things that would match some of the yardage that I have been hoarding.

IMG_1251[1]

I decided to recover both my large ironing board and my small pressing board.  Chevrons seemed the way to go so picked out two fabrics, placed them right sides together and  I cut some 4 inch strips for the small board and 5 inch strips for the larger one, then I cut the strips into squares.

IMG_1252[1]

When I had the squares cut I drew a diagonal line from corner to corner and then sewed 1/4 inch on each side of the line, then cut on the marker line to make some half square triangles.

IMG_1253[1]

I pressed the triangles open and laid them out how I wanted them to look on my board.  I created a blue chevron for the small board and a green chevron for the larger one. I sewed all my small squares together to make my chevron sections.

IMG_1259[1]

Since I was using mostly scraps on my small board I started out by sewing these three pieces together, then remeasuring, cutting again and adding a couple more scrap strips in.

IMG_1264[1]

For the larger board, I decided where I wanted to chevrons to sit on the board and cut my yardage to length. I then sewed the three sections together.   I placed the boards upside down over the cover and drew a line about 4 inches bigger than the board itself.  I used my serger to sew around the outside edge so it would not ravel.

IMG_1262[1]

I pressed the edge under and top stitched about 3/4 inch from the edge all the way around the outside, leaving a small opening to feed the string through.

IMG_1351[1]

I did add a fresh layer of batting under the new covers and tied them on.  And there you have it, two recovered ironing boards.  They are almost too pretty to use!

Leah

 

Ombre Chevron Quilt

chevron 1

I finally finished my Ombre Chevron Quilt. I put the top together in a couple hours and the quilting didn’t take much time either.  It has been sitting for about a month waiting patiently for its binding.    I know for some quilters the binding is the part they enjoy the most.  For me it is the last step holding me back from starting something new, so of course I cheated and used my Bernina Bias Binder attachment to put on the binding.

chevron 2

For this quilt I used the Simply Color fabric by V and Co.  I love that by just using one piece I get this lovely color change effect on the quilt.  I thought the simple design needed simple quilting so I echoed the zig-zag design with white thread in the pink and the coordinating Aurifil Simply Color thread in the white.

I have a feeling my next project is going to be something personalized and special for a couple new arrivals, so watch and see!

Leah